Q: Why is supporting WA important? Shouldn’t tuition cover all of a school’s expenses?
Worcester Academy, like most educational institutions, operates under a different business model than for-profit businesses. As a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, a philanthropic component is an essential part of our financial model. The tuition we charge covers only about 85% of what it costs to educate each student. The remaining 15% is derived mostly from donations.
Q: Is my donation to Worcester Academy tax deductible?
Yes. Worcester Academy is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and, as such, your donation is tax deductible.
Q: Why does WA ask for an annual gift in addition to supporting its capital campaign?
Worcester Academy must continue to meet its annual operating costs even as it is building toward the future, much like an individual must continue to pay their current expenses while saving for retirement.
Q: Can I give to a specific program or area of Worcester Academy that I care about?
Yes! When a donor instructs the Academy about how to use his or her gift – whether to the Annual Fund or for capital projects – the gift is referred to as “restricted.” Of course, in order to ensure the gift’s maximum impact, restrictions are based on the Academy’s programs and needs.
Q: As a parent of a current student, why is giving to capital campaign projects that my child will not benefit from important?
Capital projects move a school forward in big ways. When Worcester Academy grows and prospers, word gets out and WA graduates reap benefits. Further, parents who participate in a capital campaign often understand that their child is benefitting from the generosity of donors in the past.