Coach Jamie Sullivan’s quintet is off and running, out of the gate at 3-0 and already posting two quality road wins in the Class AA league. This past week seniors Mitch Doherty (Albany commit) and Jordan McAllister and junior Quest Harris led the way in wins over Brimmer & May School (78-65) and South Kent School (78-66). Another big AA game is slated for Wednesday as the Hilltoppers open their home slate with a 5:00 pm contest against the Tilton School.
- Aliyah Boston (South Carolina commit) recorded a double-double and junior point guard Leilani Rodriquez debuted in style as a well-balanced, deep WA girls’ basketball team opened defense of their Class AA championship with a solid win over the Rivers School. WA broke open a close game at the half in a well-played 61-50 triumph. Prior to defending their championship run a year ago in the Blackburn Tournament (games listed below) WA will travel to Phillips Andover for a Class A contest with the Big Blue on Wednesday.
- Kevin Zifcak’s girls’ hockey team is 2-0 and to date has not allowed an opponent to score registering 7-0, 2-0 wins respectively over Portsmouth Abbey and Tilton. Georgie Snow ’21 had a hat trick and Mary Honan ’21 her 1st career shutout in Saturday’s win over Portsmouth Abbey. Berwick Academy (Me) will travel to Worcester on Wednesday for a 5:00 pm contest at the WIC.
- After a tough opening night against the Middlesex School (7-1 loss) the boys’ hockey team opened their 2018-2019 Holt Conference season with a nice 3-1 road win over Holderness. Three separate Hilltoppers scored and steady goaltending paved the way for the defending Holt champions. Team will travel to St. Mark’s School on Wednesday and return home to host Tabor Saturday evening at the WIC.
- With the largest group in recent years in tow, Varsity wrestling traveled to Lawrence Academy on Saturday for a tri-meet with Governor’s. Senior leaders Aidan Ormsby (2-1) and Jared Bushnell (1-1) both secured individual victories, however, the team fell overall by a 3-0 count.
- Congratulations to 1st -year coach, Jay Leonard and to the JV girls’ basketball team as they employed a balanced attack in pushing past Eagle Hill School on Saturday in Hardwick.
- Also new to the Winter coaching ranks is Head coach Alex Garcia (ably assisted by another 1st year coach Frank Cooney) who saw his team fall on the road to NMH in a close contest on Saturday.
- The JV boys’ team rallied from a halftime deficit but fell short in their opener at the Rivers School on Saturday.
This weekend will be a busy one in and around Daniels gym as we will host a swim meet at 4:00 pm as well as the Thomas Blackburn Holiday Basketball Tournament here on Rowe Court. Additionally, WA’s boys’ ice hockey team will host Tabor at the Worcester Ice Center at 5:30 pm.
A gentle reminder to all who attend games, be it here at WA or on the road;
SPORTSMANSHIP AT WORCESTER ACADEMY
ALL FANS AND SPECTATORS ARE WELCOME TO WORCESTER ACADEMY. WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO CHEER ENTHUSIASTICALLY FOR:
WE DON’T ROOT AGAINST OR TARGET OUR OPPONENT OR WISH THEM TO PEFORM POORLY AND WE HOLD ALL GAME PARTICIPANTS, OFFICIALS, COACHES AND FELLOW SPECTATORS IN THE HIGHEST REGARD, RESPECTING THEIR PREPARATION AND THEIR SPIRIT OF FAIR PLAY AND COMPETITION.
AND BE WELCOME AT WORCESTER ACADEMY
18th Annual Thomas Blackburn Tournament
December 8-9 Tournament Schedule
Saturday, December 8
1:30 PM Gould Academy vs. Worcester Academy
3:00 PM Marianapolis Prep vs. Tilton School
4:30 PM Vermont Academy vs. Proctor Academy
6:00 PM Blair Academy vs. Worcester Academy
Sunday, December 9
11:30 AM Girls’ Consolation
1:00 PM Boys’ Consolation
2:30 PM Girls’ Final
4:00 PM Boys’ Final
Co-Athlete of the Week:
Georgie Snow ’21 – Girls’ Ice Hockey
Mitchell Doherty ’19 – Boys’ Varsity Basketball