The beat goes on for our top rated girls’ varsity basketball team as they posted impressive wins over two of the regions’ top teams. On Wednesday, balanced scoring and a furious finish to what had been a close game saw the Hilltoppers push past Tabor by a 63-54 count. In a rematch of last year’s AA Championship final, WA used a late 13-4 run fueled by some key three pointers by Keira Fernandez and Bella Nascimento to secure the victory. A trip to Nobles on Saturday saw the team sharp as it ran past their hosts by a 55-28 margin. Strong team defense and the inside presence of Aliyah Boston were key ingredients to the victory.
- It’s extremely tough to go through the AA boys’ basketball schedule unscathed and after a 13-0 start (best in school history) the team met their match on Friday in dropping a 94-90 overtime decision at Andover. Less than 24 hours later the team traveled to Boston for a match-up with the # 2 ranked Woodstock Academy and despite a strong showing bowed 84-77. The team will look to rebound here at home on Wednesday as they tip off with Class AA power MacDuffie School at 4:30 pm.
- Boys’ hockey played a nearly complete game on the road against a good Pomfret team on Wednesday, falling in the end by a 4-1 count. A scheduled Holt Conference road game at NYA on Saturday was canceled due to the snowy weekend and will be made up on Wednesday, February 20 at 4:30 pm
- Girls’ hockey had an impressive week capturing two important road wins over Pomfret and NYA. Brooks School will provide the opposition on Wednesday at the WIC with a 3:50 pm faceoff.
- Varsity 2 Basketball got back in the win column with a win over a depleted MacDuffie team on Monday as four players scored double-digits. Baskets were not as easy to come by on Thursday as the St. Thomas More defense clamped down in the 2nd half and pulled away for a 72-59 Prep 6 League contest. A return game with STM on Tuesday highlights the week for the V2 squad.
- JV girls’ basketball (7-0) continue their impressive winning ways as they ran past Nobles on Saturday in Dedham.
- Freshman basketball had a resounding win at Portsmouth Abbey on Wednesday while the boys’ JV hoops team battled throughout against Cushing before falling in a close game.
Around the Rim:
Join us on Wednesday, January 23 for “Coaches vs. Cancer “here at WA with games at 2:45 pm and 4:30 pm
Congrats to members of our swim team who swam (should I say survived) their annual 10K “swim- a-thon” on Saturday!
Special belated birthday wishes to “Dee” Rowe who celebrated his 90th birthday on Sunday in Storrs, Connecticut. Way to go, Coach Rowe!