Weekly Athletics Update—Oct. 25, 2021
Our Winter Athletics Plan may be found at the conclusion of this week’s Athletics Update.
In perhaps their most impressive performance of the season, the boys’ varsity soccer team stymied a talented Bridgton Wolverine squad on Saturday night here on Morse Field. Senior Colin Hughes knocked home a pair of goals and Luis Baez contributed a solo shot as the Hilltoppers emerged with a 3-1 win before a chilled, but enthusiastic home crowd. The win pushed the season record to 9-0-3 and came on the heels of Wednesday’s 1-0 shutout over the Hotchkiss School. WA will travel to Deerfield on Wednesday for a 4:00 p.m. contest.
- Girls’ varsity soccer continues to roll along in impressive fashion as their offense seems to be kicking into high gear. On Wednesday the team stormed past Deerfield as, multiple players scored in a game that was all WA. Sheridan Brummett ’22 scored two goals and Nicole Jodoin ’25 a single tally as the hometown Hilltoppers ran away from a 1-0 half time advantage in running their overall record to 10-1-1. Balance again was the key in Monday’s 6-0 shut out win over Noble & Greenough. The team will travel to Hotchkiss on Wednesday for a Class A match.
- Emily Ferguson scored a pair of goals and Ally Gray added another as the Hilltoppers battled to the wire before dropping a 4-3 decision on Wednesday against Lawrence Academy. Dexter-Southfield jumped out to an early lead on Saturday and never looked back as they raced past the host Hilltoppers. Deerfield Academy, another Class A power will provide the opposition on Wednesday with a 4:15 p.m. start time at Morse Field.
- The JV girls’ soccer team went 1-0 during the week (Lawrence contest was cancelled) and seemingly had no ill effects from their 10 day lay-off. Alyssa Daly ’24 and Adelaide Saint-Rose ’23 continue to work well in concert with several nifty plays and Nora Gray added an insurance goal in the 2nd half to secure a 4-0 win over Taft. The team will have a week to prepare for their next contest, a road game at Milton on Saturday.
- JV boys’ soccer ran their record to 7-2-1 securing wins over the Hillside School (5-1) and Portsmouth Abbey (2-0). The later contest, played before an enthusiastic Homecoming crowd in Rhode Island saw the team emerge with one of their best defensive efforts of the year. The team hosts NMH here on Wednesday afternoon with a 4:00 p.m. contest slated.
- Our Varsity volleyball team (9-4 overall) is on quite a run as well having won 9 out of their last 10 matches and many in convincing fashion. Kate Foley, Jade Burnett, Nina Gavin, Sydney Ryder, and Tony Dern provided the distribution on the offensive end in a pair of key victories. Dern was pivotal in Wednesday’s match as the host Hilltoppers upset the # 3 ranked Wyverns of Kingswood-Oxford before a great home crowd. The team will look for a bit of revenge on Saturday against a strong Rivers squad, who pinned a season-opening loss on the Hilltoppers back in September.
- JV Volleyball dropped a pair of matches during the week to K-O and Williston and will look to get back into the winner’s circle on Saturday when they travel to the Rivers School for a 1:00 p.m. match.
- As they prepare for the New England Prep D II Invitational Tournament in two weeks, our cross-country runners are balancing their training regimens with their competitive meets. Winchendon provided the lone opposition on a picture-perfect Saturday and once again the top finishers on both the boys’ and girls’ side performed well. Ella Budzinski finished 1st and was ably assisted by the strong efforts of Renee Coutinho, Ellianna Gelardi, Anastasia Novikova and Melanie Rosenthal. Senior captain, Aiden Warner sped around the 5K course in 20:33 to lead the WA boys’ team.
- Football competed well throughout and continues to get great performances from the veteran performers and from several newcomers. QB Noah Callery ’22 continues to pile up impressive numbers on the offensive end and collectively the defensive unit has been formidable. Pingree’s 26-7 win was much closer than the final score indicated in terms of competitive balance. The Hilltoppers will be ready on Saturday afternoon when they host the King School. Game site has been moved to Morse Field and the starting time is now 12:00 noon.
- MS Flag had an exciting come from behind win over the Rivers School on Friday afternoon at Gaskill Field. Jasmin Al-Asousi intercepted a late Rivers throw and Josh Zifcak caught a late TD strike from Amyas Hall-Chiari in the 12-8 win.
- Our energetic MS cross-country team ran against the Hillside School and the Bancroft School on Thursday out at the Emmons X-C and once again ran with good results from all participants.
Around the Rim:
- Thanks to our Fall teams and to all who contributed during contests this past week to raise dollars and awareness for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Parent Associations of the teams certainly rose to the occasion with baked goods and more to help raise funds to combat this cancer.
Co-Athletes of the Week:
Antonia Dern ’24 – Varsity Volleyball
Colin Hughes ’22 – Varsity Soccer
Below you will find a tentative outline of our Winter Athletics Plan –
by sport – as we look ahead to the start of our Winter season. Head coaches and their contact information is included. Student-athletes can expect communication from their respective Head coaches outlining tryout dates and ensuing practice times and are encouraged to contact these coaches with questions.
Please note, as the final day of classes prior to Thanksgiving is Wednesday, November 17, we will start our Sub-Varsity and Freshman tryouts on Monday, November 15.
We are excited about the season ahead and look forward to a safe, healthy and productive year.
Edward A. Reilly
Director of Athletics
Middle School Basketball Teams will practice from 3:15-4:15 p.m. on Rowe Court/Old Gym
- Monday - Thurs – Rowe Court
- Tu- Fri- Old Gym
- Monday – Thursday – Old Gym
- Tu – Friday – Rowe Court
Middle School Swim Team will practice from 3:15 – 4:15 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
US Varsity Basketball Teams from 4:15-5:45 p.m., 5:45 – 7:15 p.m.
US Sub-Varsity Teams
Monday – JV Girls – 4:20 – 5:30 p.m. / 3rds 5:40 – 6:45 p.m. / V2 OFF
Tuesday – V2 – 4:20 – 5:30 p.m. / JV Girls’ 5:40 – 6:45 p.m. / 3rds OFF
Thursday – 3rds – 4:20 – 5:30 p.m./ V 2 5:40 – 6:45 p.m. / JV Girls’ OFF
Friday – JV Girls – 4:20 -5:30 p.m. / 3rds 5:40 – 6:45 p.m. / V2 OFF
Saturday – V2 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Wednesday schedule (pre-season)
Rowe Court Old Gym
V 2 – 2:15 – 3:30 p.m. JV Girls’ – 2:15 – 3:30 p.m.
GV Basketball 3:40 – 5:40 p.m. 3rds – 3:40 – 5:55 p.m.
Upper School Varsity Hockey Teams
- Varsity Hockey tryouts will start on Monday, November 15th at WIC, ~ 4 pm
- JV Boys Hockey tryouts will start on Monday, November 15th at NESC, 4:20 pm
- Swim Tryouts will start on Saturday, November 13th
- Training M-F will commence at 4:25 p.m. with Saturday optional training at discretion of head coach
- On the heels of a successful 2020 campaign, we will offer Interscholastic competition as a member of the Central Mass Ski League at Mount Wachusett
- Racing will likely remain on Friday’s only in the 2021 season
- Additional information forthcoming as we finalize both practice days on the mountain and transportation logistics