Two of the region’s best squared off on Rowe Court on Saturday in front of a packed house and the hometown team ran away from a 19 all halftime deadlock and posted a 48-36 win. Aliyah Boston ’19 scored 16 points and grabbed 9 rebounds and junior Adara Groman pitched in with 8 2nd half points to propel the Hilltoppers to victory. The team travels to Putnam, Connecticut on Monday eve to face yet another New England power, Putnam Science School.
- Boys’ Varsity basketball appears back on track posting important AA wins during the week. On Wednesday they overcame a 25-point half time deficit and roared back to beat the Master School (Senior Jordan McAllister led the way with 22) and on Friday evening they held on (after building their own 20 point + lead) to edge South Kent School by an 87-80 count. Junior Judson Martindale scored a season high 26 in the win.
- Freshman hoops ran its winning streak to five games (all by double digits) pushing past Marianapolis Prep. Backcourt mates, Matt Grniet and Domenic Mancini led the scoring parade for the frosh who continue to rely on a tenacious defense to secure this noteworthy streak!
- JV girls’ basketball ran its undefeated streak to 10-0 with wins over Suffield and Rectory. The team is off until Saturday when they host Phillips Exeter here at WA.
- Varsity hockey split two contests, posting a 4-0 win on Wednesday over Portsmouth Abbey and then dropping a 5-4 decision (led 4-1 entering final period) to league foe, North Yarmouth Academy. Lucas LaRoche came up big with a 20 save shutout effort against Portsmouth Abbey.
- Girls’ hockey was deadlocked, 4-4 heading into Sunday’s last period but Winchendon pumped home 2 scores to prevail by a 6-4 margin. The Rivers School will provide the opposition on Wednesday with a 4:00 pm contest scheduled at the WIC.
- Swim team ran into a tough Williston-Northampton squad on Wednesday with the boys’ dropping a 65-87 score and the girls’ a 62-92 final.
- Boys’ Varsity 2 basketball split two contests dropping a 52-49 contest on Thursday to the Hoosac School and then secured their 2nd win of the season against BCA with a 64-50 win. Senior Michael Borrelli scored a career high 22 points to lead the way in New Hampshire.
- Wrestling was on the road twice, dropping a single match at Wilbraham & Monson and then overnight to the NNET in Hyde, Maine against a host of NE competitors. Senior Jared Bushnell ’19 grabbed a 2nd place overall finish in his class on the weekend and Will Bace (4th) and Mike Berberian (5th) also placed!
- JV boys’ basketball dropped games with Groton and Phillips Andover
- The New England Class C Ski Championships are rapidly approaching (next Wednesday, 2/13 in Bridgton, Me. at Shawnee Peak) so our team is tuning up with weekly runs in the CMSL at Mt. Wachusett.
Co-Athlete of the Week:
Lucas LaRoche ’20 – BV Hockey
Adara Groman ‘20 – GV Basketball